Friday 1 November 2013

Surprise Surprise!

Okay, now I can tell you what was going on in my life for the past two weeks. So to begin with I haven’t blogged in a while…sorry… but I do have a reason. I was very busy as I had to get a lot of work done before flying to America and surprising all our friends out there, and especially one in particular as it was her Bridal Shower last Saturday. I love surprises. Umm who doesn’t? I love being surprised and surprising.

Typical me, I like to read into things a lot more than I should. So for me, a surprise is more than just shouting a word in a dumbstruck loved ones face. It shows love. It shows that you care about someone so much that you hold back a HUGE secret like; flying across an ocean, or planning a huge birthday, OR just a simple dinner to tell someone that it was all done to see a reaction on their face. I have been surprised by wonderful friends now twice from America. One was last October when my mum told my sister and I that there was a surprise in our room like new curtains or something (which never happens and still has never happened) so mum was recording, not that weird as she told us there was a ‘surprise’, so as we get up from the kitchen table, our dearest friend strolls around the corner. I saw her first and squealed with shock, excitement, confusion, surprise. And my sister who heard me scream, not seeing her yet, screamed. Then screamed again when seeing our friend. This was all caught on camera and was an awesome surprise.

The other surprise I’ve had was when my parents drove our family to the airport for no reason. We guessed when we saw a sign for ‘arrivals’ that we were picking someone up. BUT WHO!? That excitement was a whole other level. We were guessing and guessing yet my parents kept straight faces casually glancing to each other from the side of their eyes with glee in their eyes as their 4 crazy random kissed threw out names like a register.
As we cautiously and expectantly waited at those double doors with the bright yellow ‘arrivals’ sign above, we couldn’t wait to see who came from those doors. Once again we were shocked! Not only that our BFF came to surprise us. But. That she was staying for FOUR MONTHS!
It was awesome.

So as I said. I love surprises.
Anyway, as we flew across the ocean. Had some really bad food at Chicago airport for our layover. (Seriously it was some deli style sandwich with soggy sour bread and a hunk full of meat with sweet peppers that tasted like antibacterial wipes!) We could not wipe smiles off our faces. Our diligent friend picked us up and we drove the hour more distance to the small town in Western PA to knock on people’s doors at 9:00pm and confuse them all! In each surprise the shrieks, the silences, the questions, the jaw drops, the laughs were so totally worth it! Everyone was amazed we came for such a short time to celebrate a special day with a dear friend and enjoy the amazing company with such a hilarious crew that I have known for my whole life and continue to make memories with. We only stayed with our friends for 3 days and then spent time with our grandparents who lived about an hour away from there.
Here are the ones we surprised!

Boy did we cram a lot into a short space of time! On the Saturday about 13 of us went to our famous, novelty breakfast joint then went to the shower (which was a Steelers Tailgating theme!) then went for coffee at again a novelty visit we do every time we are there. Then to Subs n Suds for Pizza and wings to then go for Ice cream on a frosty October evening. Each of the places we went hold such weighty memories of years and years of late night, early mornings, even all nighters hanging with friends. Friends who are so close to me, even though an ocean, time zone and a bit of land are sandwiched between us.

So there we have it. What I did in my October Half Term.

Em :)

No comments:

Post a Comment