Saturday 2 November 2013

Mumford Insight

One of my favourite things to do on a cold day is go to my room and paint my nails. Ha sounds so exciting right? But for a girl who owns over 70 nail polishes and takes seriously her cuticle care. yeah its fun. As I do everything they would do for a manicure and more! I play one of my favourite go-to albums. Mumford and Sons - Babel. After a week of holiday I really looked forward to just chilling doing my nails and hair. While listening to the album one of my favourites 'Below my feet' played. In the silence of my room, filled with dusty rasps of Mumford voice, I payed attention to the lyrics. 

Here is what I found interesting...

Now before I go on... I want to say this is merely my thoughts. It's not what they meant. Just something I picked up on.

The chorus:
Keep the earth below my feet
For all my sweat, my blood runs weak
Let me learn from where I have been
Keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn
Keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn

Keep the earth below my feet
I found this interesting as why should we keep the earth below our feet? The earth, the world. The world, everything inside it, is what everyone yearns for. With it comes all the hype, the beauty, the fame...the world, everything. Keeping it below our feet keeps us grounded. As we succeed in life stay grounded. 

The next line I saw interesting. 
For all my sweat, my blood runs weak
Sweat only happens when we work for something. To sweat we need to do. We need to do it a lot and give it our best. But blood. Our blood. It is always there, always running, it is ours in us, running through us. Sometimes when we strive to do well, be it for someone or something we can sometimes forget who we are. We can get so caught up that we don't realise who we have become. The first picture that comes to mind which is a bit weird as it is now an older film, is the movie 'The Devil wears Prada' In this we see a girl try and be someone else. Dress differently, act differently but she wasn't that. She was something more real. Human, not like the others. 
In our lives are there places where we sweat to act, do, be different. And from 'all my sweat' My blood. Who I am, it runs weak. It is no longer the first thing people see of me. It is not who I am supposed to be. 

Leading from there comes the next line
Let me learn from where I have been
As it is kinda inevitable that we are going to mess up in life, we can then look back remember where we were and never go that route again. We don't have to be that person anymore and make this mistakes again. It takes practice. And diligence. It may be hard to relive those days, go the same easy route, But what will the outcome be? Would you want to do it all again just to be let down in the end? Again? 

The last line which really struck me.
Keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn
Keep my EYES to SERVE my HANDS to learn. 
Why is it that way round? Don't we learn from seeing? Don't we serve from doing? 
To be honest, I'm just spit balling ides here, but maybe it is that way because the only way we learn a new technique is by doing. I remember how when I was staying with a friend she told me how to use an appliance, then left me to it. She wanted me to try, to make a mistake but then try again and learn from it. Hands, doing, Learn, doing. They go hand in hand (pardon the pun).  So as we live to learn it symbolises an action. You can learn something and never do anything with it. Never put it into practise. Until you make an action and do something. 
Keep my eyes to serve. Hmm. Interesting. How can we serve with our eyes? Who are we serving? Why are we serving? I believe we serve God, in all we do. To bring glory to Him. Serving Him means turning away from things of the world that are not edifying for us. We come across things everyday (with our eyes) that don't seem right, be it a situation, an image, a thought. We need to serve, not only with our actions, but with what we see and be careful that what we see in life can mirror our own lives. be filled with goodness, love, happiness. Be around those who bring out your best qualities.


Okay so I bet Mumford & Sons didn't go into that much detail when writing those lyrics. But as I sat at my desk in complete concentration, with my thoughts. The lyrics got me thinking. A bit weird? Maybe. But this is something I regularly do to things. I deconstruct them, pull them apart, find another meaning that can be applied to my life. So that is why every now and then on the blog you will see a blog about something you may never have thought of about a film, book, song. Or maybe... I'm not alone and there are other people who tear things into tiny pieces and glue them back together to find an ulterior meaning and value. 

Oh well anyway hope you are having an exciting weekend!

Em :) 











No comments:

Post a Comment